WINE offers a variety of wine classes for both entertainment and educational purposes. All classes are taught by a certified specialist of wine and spirits. Below is a list of the classes we currently offer. If there is a particular subject in which you are interested and you do not see it listed, please feel free to contact us. We are happy to construct classes based on participant interest.
In addition to classes at Southern Connecticut Wine Company (fka The Crush Club), we are thrilled to be opening our doors for the very first time at our headquarters, the Wine Institute of New England, 5 Adirondack Lane, Guilford, CT, for wine and spirits classes in 2016. Join us in the Wine Cellar for two exciting series – Thirsty Thursdays and Friday Night Nips and Nibbles. Sign up for one of our Wine & Spirits Enthusiast Packages and receive a 10% discount. Sign up for a full series and receive a 15% discount. Advanced registration for classes is required. To sign up for a class, please use the Paypal button next to the class, or contact WINE directly.
2016 Winter/Spring Class Schedule
We have two new wine and spirit appreciation series for 2016! Sign up for single classes, a Wine & Spirits Enthusiast Package, or a whole series. Is there something you’re interested in that’s not listed here? Send us an email with your request and we will look into putting a class together on your topic.
Thirsty Thursdays: These classes will explore a specific wine, spirit, region, or topic over the course of 2 hours while enjoying a flight of wines or spirits. Light fare will be served during classes. Classes are $50/person. (Location: Wine Institute of New England, Guilford, CT)
All classes will meet on Thursday from 6:30-8:30 pm, unless otherwise noted.
- Uncork Your Inner Wine Expert! ~ Start the new year off with the class that has been described as an entire wine course in just one class! Learn wine tasting techniques in a fun and nonintimidating atmosphere while trying several highly rated wines. We will also reveal some excellent tips that will have you sipping like a pro. Thursday, January 14, 2016 All the glasses in this class are now happily filled.
- That’s Amore! The Wines of Italy ~ Italians love wine and love. What better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day this year than to discover some of the sexiest wines on earth. Taste what Italy has to offer. From Amarone to Barbera, Chianti to the Super Tuscans and beyond, we will explore native grapes and winemaking traditions from the land of love. Thursday, February 11, 2016
- Sensory Evaluation ~ If you’re ready to take the next step from simply enjoying wine to understanding wine, this is the class for you. We will discuss the various components that make up a wine (e.g., acidity, sweetness, astringency), and taste examples of wines that boldly exhibit these components so that you will be able to identify them when you come into contact with them. Wine geeks welcome! Thursday, March 3, 2016
- New World Pinot Noirs ~ New World wine regions have been making a splash with some spectacular pinot noirs. Taste the difference between these wines and pinot noir from Burgundy. We will taste pinots from such regions as Oregon, California, and New Zealand. Thursday, March 24, 2016
- Vini Amari (Bittered Wines) ~ Bittered wines, spirits, and mixers are super hot right now. Vini amari can be sipped solo or used for cocktails. Find out what the bittered buzz is all about and taste some exciting examples of these versatile wines. Thursday, April 28, 2016
- South American Wines ~ The wines of South America are becoming serious contenders in the global wine world, and they are still some of the best bargains to be found. Taste well-known Argentinian Malbecs and Chilean Cabernets, as well as lesser known gems from Uruguay and Brazil. Vamos! Thursday, May 19, 2016
Friday Night Nips & Nibbles: These classes will focus on wine (or spirit) and food pairings. Our award-winning Director of Culinary will personally prepare the small-plate dishes served during these classes, which will be expertly paired with a flight of wines or spirits. Classes are $69/person. (Location: Wine Institute of New England, Guilford, CT)
All classes will meet on Friday from 6:30-8:30 pm, unless otherwise noted.
- The Mediterranean Diet ~ Considered to be one of the healthiest diets in the world, the Mediterranean Diet includes wine in its pyramid. We will talk about Mediterranean wine regions while we enjoy a flight of wines from several Mediterranean countries paired with a healthy and delicious selection of Mediterranean-inspired small plates. Friday, January 22, 2016
- Chinese Dumplings & Deutscher Wein ~ Celebrate Chinese New Year with us! Enjoy a variety of delicious dumplings while learning about German wines and why these wines pair perfectly with Chinese food. SOLD OUT
- Caribbean Grub & Grog ~ Come in out of the cold and warm up with some Caribbean jerk food and rums from the islands. Discover the beginnings of the rum industry before it made its way to New England. Yo, ho, ho! Friday, February 19, 2016
- Beef, Bonbons, and the Banks of Bordeaux ~ Learn what the banks of Bordeaux have to offer, from powerful Cabs to velvety Merlots to sinfully sweet Sauternes. Each wine will be paired with an exquisite French morsel, either savory or sweet. Friday, March 18, 2016
- How Sweet It Is ~ Wine does not have to end with the main course! There is a world of sweet wines available to pair with any dessert your sweet tooth desires. Learn how to end your meal elegantly with fortified wines, late-harvest wines, and ice wines, to name a few. Coffee and tea can wait. Friday, April 8, 2016
- Tomatoes & Tuscan Tipplers ~ Try several variations on a classic pairing – Tuscan wines and tomato-based dishes. We will discuss the various subregions of Tuscany, including Chianti and Montalcino and pair these wines with the delectable cuisine of this region. Friday, May 6, 2016
Please check back soon for additional classes at Southern Connecticut Wine Company (SoConnWineCo)!
Wine & Spirits Enthusiast Package – 3 Thirsty Thursdays
Wine & Spirits Enthusiast Package – 3 Friday Night Nips & Nibbles
Sign up for 3 different classes from either series at one time and receive 10% off! Simply click on one of the links above to pay for your classes. We will contact you within 48 hours to register you for the classes you want.
Thirsty Thursdays Series
Friday Night Nips & Nibbles Series
Sign up for a full series and receive 15% off! Simply click on one of the links above to pay for your classes. We will contact you within 48 hours to register you for the classes you want.
Full refunds are available up until 7 days before the class. Credit will be given for any cancellations within 7 days to 48 hours of the class. No refunds or credits given within 48 hours of class or for cancellations without notice.